When trying to get ahead in life the most common obstacle is low self- esteem. Whether or not we choose to admit it, most of us have dealt with this at some point in our lives. Self-confidence and positive thinking are both keys to building self-esteem and thereafter a more accomplished lifestyle. These character traits separate CEOs from those who stay stagnant on the corporate ladder. For those of us who need some help in that area there are several ways to build our self-esteem.
No Negative Thoughts
- Negative thoughts always result in negative actions. Every time you have a negative though throughout the day push it out of your mind.
- Turn your negative thoughts into positives by finding one good thing about your day and focusing on that.
- Avoid surrounding yourself with negative thinkers. This emotion can be contagious if you allow it to infect your life.
- We all have qualities about ourselves that we do not like. Instead of dwelling on that focus on your good qualities.
- Take up a new hobby that you really enjoy. Whether it is painting, tennis or rock climbing, the end result will be a feeling of pride in yourself.
- Make a list of the things that you appreciate about yourself. You will be surprised at how many things are on that list. Read the list everyday as a reminder of your good traits.
- When someone gives you a compliment avoid the urge to make up an excuse for your above average behavior or appearance. Graciously accept it, internalize it and move on.
- Find the compliment in all of the feedback you receive. There is always something good to focus on; even within a critique.
Volunteer to Help
- One way to improve self-esteem is by helping others. Start volunteering every chance you get.
- Start your own charity and try to make a difference in the lives of those who are in need.
- Lend an ear to a friend who needs a shoulder to cry on.
- Visit children’s hospitals or retirement homes. Your company will mean a lot to them and in return you will feel good about yourself.
Work on Yourself
- Make a list of the things you do not like about yourself. Evaluate that list to see if your perception has to do with the way others think you should look or behave.
- Work on changing the things that you don’t like about yourself. You will find that most of these things are fixable.
- Do more things that bring you feelings of positivity.
Don’t Expect Perfection
- The world is not perfect. Give yourself a break and don’t expect to do everything with perfection.
- Accept your small flaws as they come. Don’t beat yourself up over the little mishaps in life.
- Think of all your mistakes as the important learning experiences in life that they are.
Document Your Daily Accomplishments
- Make a list of things that you need to do.
- Try to do at least one thing on that list every day and check it off when you have completed the task.
- Post your accomplishment list on your refrigerator so you can look at and appreciate your accomplishments daily.
Make a Gratitude Journal
- Start a gratitude journal. Write down everything that you are grateful for.
- Include all of your good traits on the list.
- Read the list and add to it daily.
Working on your self-esteem is not an overnight job. It will take dedication and consistency in practicing positive behaviors. In the end you will find that good self-esteem can change the direction of your life in a positive way. The business world values those who have a high confidence in their own ability.
About the Author
Drew C. works for a website that compares personal car insurance. Comparing personal car insurance is important in order to find the cheapest rates. When he isn’t working Drew loves playing soccer, reading and spending time with his family.