Book Review: Your Best Life Now by Joel Osteen
It was a fine morning when I heard that there was going to be a book sale on the university campus. Once class was done, I rushed to the site hoping to feast on some nice books. Soon my excitement faded away and I was disappointed that I couldn’t find any book that was of interest to me and decided to leave. As I was on my way to the exit, something grabbed my attention. It was that first book Joel Osteen released. It was like a dream come true as I hurried to grab the final copy on the shelf. It seemed like I had found the love of my life.
From # 1 New York Times bestselling author, Joel Osteen came ‘Your Best life now: #7 Steps to Living at Your Full Potential’, a multi million copy book which was on the best seller ranks for over 200 weeks. His pleasing personality and never fading smile attracts millions of people worldwide to his weekly broadcasts on television, radio and the internet. No wonder I was mesmerized by him.
#7 Steps to Living at Your Full Potential
In his book, Joel Osteen speaks about seven areas in life that ought to be focused in order to have your best life now. They are:
• Enlarge your vision – Instead of getting stuck in a rut, break out of your shell and have a bigger vision for your life. When you quit your excuses and let go of the people who are limiting you,. You will be able to expand your territories and set a new standard for your life.
• Develop a healthy self-image –Don’t discount yourself. Discover how valuable and unique you are and be confident about yourself; your personality, looks, traits, background and so on. You are a masterpiece with a bright destiny set before you.
• Discover the power of your thoughts and words – Your thoughts and words determine the direction of your life. Don’t let your thoughts limit you and call in the right things with your words. You can either bring in more positivity or more negativity just by your words.
• Let go of the past – Don’t let the bitterness of your past or the bundle of hurt weigh you down. Your past is not as nearly as important as your future. Clear the skeletons in your closet and soar up high.
• Find strength through adversity – Instead of sitting around with a chip on your shoulder over the mounting storms in life, learn to rest and find strength through the challenges by focusing on the coming breakthrough. Joel Osteen says, ‘nothing in life happens to you but rather happens for you.’
• Live to give! – You will find more joy and purpose in life when you are a ‘giver’. Don’t just keep getting and storing them in your backyards. An old saying goes like this, ‘when you get more; raise your standard of giving not standard of living’.
• Choose to be happy – life happens to everyone. But, the difference is how you respond to adversity. You can go with the flow and sit around with disappointment or you can choose to be happy come what may.
This is not just a philosophical or doctrinal book. Joel Osteen has a unique way of putting complicated matters in simple words with loads of real life examples of people and with anecdotes that can really make us think. Real life examples help us know that we are not just reading a bunch of theoretical data but rather practical tips.
Whatever said and done, this book will change your life. It will alter your thinking, elevate your attitude and thereby change your habits that can help you in having your best life now. For instance, most people don’t care about their words. They keep saying things like ‘I am unlucky; I am screwed. I am fired’. What they don’t realize is that they are calling in more negativity with their words. Joel Osteen focuses on such simple yet profound principles that we often neglect in our everyday life. This is a must read if you are serious about having your best life now!
Osteen, Joel. Your Best life now: #7 Steps to Living at Your Full Potential. New York: Hachette Book Group. 2004
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.