Guerilla marketing is a creative, unconventional way to promote a product. Although businesses need to be careful with choosing the right time, place and campaign that it is suitable for, it can have a massive effect on brand awareness and sales.
In this article, we will first explore the term “guerilla marketing”, outline its advantages and mention some mistakes companies have made when resorting to this model. Then, we will introduce you to some guerilla marketing ideas to try in your organization.
What Is Guerilla Marketing?
Guerilla marketing is a type of unconventional marketing that uses low-cost, unconventional tactics to promote products or services. It seeks to generate maximum exposure by using unexpected and unique methods that surprise and engage consumers. Guerilla marketing often involves the use of street teams, viral campaigns, stunts, outdoor advertisements, word-of-mouth promotion, flash mobs, and other methods that are used to create the maximum impact.
The term became popular with the transition from traditional to digital media. It originated from Jay Conrad Levinson’s book, “Guerilla Marketing: Secrets for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business.” It was published in 1984, but it is still highly relevant today as it emphasizes the creative use of limited resources to gain maximum exposure and a huge return on investment.
Guerilla Marketing Benefits
The main advantage of guerilla marketing is that it allows businesses to reach their target audience in a highly creative and cost-effective way. It also requires minimal resources, so it can be used even by small companies or startups. Additionally, its unique approach allows businesses to stand out from the competition, capitalize on consumer interest and make a lasting impression in the market.
Examples of successful guerilla marketing campaigns are the massive popularity of the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, Red Bull’s Stratos freefall from outer space and Snickers’ “You’re Not You When You’re Hungry” campaign.
Feel inspired already? Hold on, because guerilla marketing can go wrong if not planned appropriately!
Guerilla Marketing Mistakes
Guerilla marketing is a risky venture, and companies should be aware of the potential pitfalls. Poorly planned campaigns can backfire and result in negative publicity.
For example, there was KFC’s “Megazord” campaign in China that was criticized for being insensitive to children with disabilities. Also, the Cartoon Network 2007 guerilla marketing initiative across Boston caused massive panic. What happened then was that the police and the fire department misidentified the battery-powered LED placards of a show character as potential bomb attack devices.
Other common mistakes include failing to create a call-to-action, not carefully choosing the location of your guerilla marketing campaign, and failing to measure results.
It is essential to do research before launching a guerilla marketing campaign and test it out on small scale first. Make sure you have permission from authorities, consider all legal implications and be aware of any potential conflicts that may arise.
14 Guerilla Marketing Ideas For Successful Promotions
- Host an outdoor event
- Create a hashtag
- Use QR codes
- Launch a scavenger hunt
- Offer discounts or free samples
- Create street art
- Organize a flash mob
- Use vehicles for advertising
- Set up interactive booths
- Use augmented reality
- Leverage influencers
- Utilize billboards
- Use guerrilla projection
- Participate in trade shows
There’s no doubt about it — guerilla marketing is a powerful strategy. When executed correctly, it can help you stand out from the competition and attract more customers. But coming up with clever guerrilla marketing concepts can be tough. If you’re struggling to come up with initiatives that work, don’t worry — we’ve got you covered. Let’s take a look at 14 guerilla marketing ideas to help you get your business off the ground.
- Host an outdoor event – Everyone loves outdoor events, so why not host one? You can invite influencers, provide entertainment and offer giveaways to increase engagement with potential customers.
- Create a hashtag – Hashtags are an effective way to connect with target audiences and generate more visibility for your brand.
- Use QR codes – Place QR codes in strategic locations like malls, airports and bus stops, so that customers can easily scan the code and access information about your products or services.
- Launch a scavenger hunt – A scavenger hunt is an exciting and engaging way to engage with your target audience. Make sure to provide useful clues about your products and services.
- Offer discounts or free samples – Offering discounts and free samples can be a great way to attract potential customers and get them interested in what you have to offer.
- Create street art – Street art is a great way to capture your target audience’s attention. You can choose to paint murals, place posters or chalk drawings in public spaces.
- Organize a flash mob – A Flash Mob is an exciting way to get people talking about your brand and create a buzz. You can choose to perform a dance, a skit or any other type of performance.
- Use vehicles for advertising – If you have a fleet of vehicles, why not use them to advertise your products or services? You can place vinyl wraps on the car with your brand’s logo, slogan and contact details.
- Set up interactive booths – Interactive booths or kiosks are a great way to engage with potential customers and provide them with valuable information about your products or services.
- Use augmented reality – Augmented Reality (AR) is an engaging way to interact with customers in the real world. You can create AR experiences that allow customers to explore your brand in a fun and immersive way.
- Leverage influencers – Influencer marketing is a great way to promote your brand and reach new audiences. You can work with popular influencers in your niche to create content that promotes your brand.
- Utilize billboards – Guerrilla billboards are a great way to get your message out there. You can create large, eye-catching posters and place them in strategic locations like bus stops or near popular attractions.
- Use guerrilla projection – You can use projectors to display your brand’s message in public places like parks, streets or sidewalks. This is a great way to reach potential customers who are on the go.
- Participate in trade shows – Trade shows are an excellent platform to showcase new products and services and interact with potential customers.
By using these guerilla marketing ideas, you can effectively reach your target audience and increase brand awareness without breaking the bank. Just make sure to plan ahead and measure the results of your campaign for maximum success!
Guerrilla marketing can be a great way to promote your business, but it’s important to do it right. Make sure you understand what guerrilla marketing is and the benefits it can offer before you get started. Avoid common mistakes, and consider some of the ideas we’ve listed above to make sure your campaign is successful. With a little planning and creativity, you can use guerrilla marketing to reach new customers and grow your business.